Thursday, March 20, 2008

Wear a Sweater/ Be a Good Neighbor Day

Today is wear a sweater and be a good neighbor day in honor of Mister Fred Rogers.
I loved his show as a child, in fact it was one of the few shows that didn't get on my nerves. My favorite part by far was always when Trolley would visit the Neighborhood of Make-Believe. (My kids just read what I've written so far and they agree that the make-believe part is their favorite too.) I think I love the show even more now that I'm older and I've learned a little more about him and what he was trying to do with his show.
So my challenge for you today is to celebrate this day/week with me. You could wear a sweater - that's easy - but why not find a way to be a good neighbor? I think it could be as easy as telling your neighbor to have a good day and if it's a neighbor you don't get a long with I have a feeling that might be pretty difficult. I've seen how simple little acts of kindness can change someones whole day, the dividends from these little expenses are large and well worth the time/effort.
When I was about 8 1/2 months pregnant Nov. 2006 I went grocery shopping at Winco. I love this store because you can't beat their prices but you do have to bag and carry out the groceries yourself, a job that gets pretty hard for a very, very pregnant woman. It just so happened that this day I was really stocking up on groceries and I just wasn't keeping up with the checker. A man who was there with his wife and baby stepped over and started bagging my groceries for me. He didn't ask if he could help he just helped......if he had asked I probably would have declined because I was embarrassed, although, I really did need the help. After his wife had paid for their groceries she stepped over and also helped to bag mine. When my cart was ready to go they simply walked away. I tried to thank them but they really didn't want any thanks. Since that day I've done all that I could to repay them, sincerely pray for them and thank Heavenly Father for sending them to me that day, and try to help others - pay it forward. Every time I think of them I get a little choked up. They had no idea how much I needed them that day but I truly did and I am so very grateful.
~
Good luck to you finding some way to be neighborly to whomever you meet today -- this week--this month -- or -- this year!

3 treasured comments:

Nicole said...

i remember that day and how grateful you were to them. i alwalys feel like the small gestures have the greates impact :)

Anonymous said...

I remember you liked that show. Your blog this morning is what I needed. You did it again (Made dust in the air and my eye's started watering) I wasn't feeling very neighborly. The other day I made an appointment with someone and was stood up. It's happened before. Hmmm. Maybe there is a reason. I liked your blog. Thank You!

Katee said...

Why? Oh Why...do you keep making me cry? But it's good! That was great.