Tuesday, April 29, 2008

EaRthQuaKES , High Winds and Other TraUmAtiC Events


You may or may not have heard that we have been having an abnormal amount of earthquakes these past few days/weeks. Lately we've heard from quite a few of our loved ones who have wanted to know if we are okay.
So, I thought I'd take a little time and let all of our family and friends know we are alright. Yes we are feeling a little rattled, a little dizzy and a little bit like we need a seat belt every time we set down. But really, things could be much worse. We could be having severe wind storms with gusts up to 60mph, and dust storm warnings because of the wind or we could be having a large brush fire in a valley not far from us and the wind could be blowing the smoke and dust right into our town, down our street and into our house.......
........Wait a second - WE ARE - we have all of those things!
But really --It's all GOOD -- No Worries -- We're fine!
-
The strongest quake we've had so far was a 4.7 on Friday night.
Right before it happened M.D.H. said,"We're going to have an earthquake."
I said very intelligently, "HUH? What?"
And then we heard a rumbling and almost immediately a boom as it hit the house.
Now I have to say the fact that my husband knew we were going to have an earthquake before it actually hit, was almost as un-nerving as the earthquake itself.
I asked him how he knew and he said he could just feel it, he was a little dizzy and felt kind of a rumbling inside. I decided having an early detection system for earthquakes in our home is pretty nice and I highly recommend it. And if there was any way we could market his "6th sense" or teach it to others I think we might be rich and move to Hawaii but then we'd have to deal with Volcanoes and that would be a whole different ball of wax. Needless to say it doesn't look like that's going to happen so here we are with earthquakes, wind and fires. Sounds like something of biblical proportions doesn't it? Even the least religous people around town are starting to make comments about reading the bible a little more after all of these strange events. An acquaintance made the comment that it would seem a bit late for that if this really is the end. (said with a smile)
-
Anyway, back to the earthquakes. Like I said before, we are doing great. The big one knocked open our china cabinet and knocked some things down but nothing broke. Also one of the smaller ones knocked a ketchup bottle off the shelf in our food storage and broke the lid but the seal was still intact so technically we didn't even loose a bottle of ketchup.
We feel very blessed.
-
When we were living in G.P. and considering moving here we made the issue a matter of prayer. Both MDH and I felt that it was time for us to move and start a new chapter in our family's life. Although it was hard to leave such a beautiful place and wonderful people; we knew it was what the Lord wanted us to do and as we have followed His promptings we have always been blessed and prospered. This move was no exception to that.
Shortly before we moved a friend told one of our children that moving to this town would be the worst thing we could ever do for our family.
To that I said..........

(I totally stole this picture off of someone else's blog. Growing up I loved to hate Nelly!)

..........(Okay, I didn't say it - but I thought it! That's not exactly the kind of thing you want people saying to your children RIGHT before you move.)

As I set here almost 3 years later I can honestly say that nothing could be farther from the truth. We are among some of the kindest, humblest, most inspiring, faith driven people in the world! I thank the Lord for his tender mercies and for sending us to the people here who have nurtured, befriended and loved us.

We love our desert home!

Again - Don't worry about us! We're GREAT - HAPPY - SAFE - the earth hasn't opened and swallowed us whole ..............Yet. The wind did blow my two pack of bread right off the top of my cart as I was walking out of Costco which I promptly chased down because hey, that's $4 right there, no way I'm letting that get away! ---- ANYWAY, we have food, water, shelter, we're good!
Yes, I know I've written another novel. But wait, I'm not finished. I have a few questions.

If you live in this area - I want to know what you think of all of this craziness?

If you don't live in this area - You could still tell me what you think of this craziness or I'd love to hear what other kinds of craziness or natural disasters you've witnessed and/or lived through.

So please leave a comment! If I already know you; great, if I don't; great and nice to meet you! (I'm not sure I used the semicolon correctly there - but it looks good and you get the gist.)

4 treasured comments:

Marshall said...

I have gotten so used to earthquakes that yesterday when the wind was blowing I thought we were having a couple. And, when hubby moves around in bed I think it is one (our bed shakes very easily). I keep waiting for the six-pointer to come, but feel secure knowing that I am prepared and have done everything I can to get ready.

Janika said...

I miss the quakes and brush fires. It's been hail and tornadoes in our part of the country. IMO "signs of the time" can't steadily increase, without losing effectiveness. God clumps his little repentance calls together, then gives us a break so we go back to thinking "Aah, we're safe. 'the Lord delays his coming'"

Anonymous said...

You are so funny. I love reading your posts... even if they are about "traumatic events!"Good luck - we're praying for all of our friends there.

Nicole said...

oh my heck we are so soul sisters, i also loved to hate nelly. did you see the one where she pretends to be in a wheelchair and laura pushes her down the hill? CLASSIC! I love who she married, she nedded a strong hand