Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Mother

With Mother's Day just around the corner 'Motherhood' has been on my mind these past few days. I think it is impossible for me to even begin to express my love and gratitude for my Mom or my Mother-In-Law as well as all of the women in my life with 'mother hearts'. So many descriptive words float through my mind as I think of these women:
Strength, wisdom, beauty, kindness, friend, creative, loving, honorable, talented, warm, forgiving, happy, smart, capable, energetic, effervescent ;o), teacher, patient, classic, fun, ideal, smiling, faithful, inspired - inspiring, sacrificing, to just name a few.
When Heavenly Father sent me to my family He gave me one of the greatest blessings of my life - my mother. She has loved me - taught me and sacrificed for me with a glad heart. Where she gets her energy or her patience I'll never know and if I could just have an ounce of her spark --- OH, the things I could do!
President Hinkley said, "There is nothing as energizing, as confidence building , as sustaining as the power of love." Thank you mom for giving this gift, this power to me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now on a less serious note lets talk a little about something my mom taught me. If I choose to follow what she's taught (regarding this) is a whole other matter.
My mom taught me to keep my kitchen clean ---- to do the dishes after every meal ---- and to clean your counters off before you go to bed
(IT's JUST SO NICE TO WAKE UP TO A CLEAN KITCHEN!)
BUT ---Dishes are my NEMESIS! --well dishes and laundry ---- THEY NEVER END!
Now I can see why doing your dishes would be good advice. For example; what if your Visiting Teachers decide to drop by unexpectedly around 2 o'clock in the afternoon and your dishes from dinner the night before, breakfast and lunch are still on your table, counters and in the sink. That could potentially be very embarrassing, not to mention the fact that they might think you're suffering from some major illness and call in R.S. re-enforcements to clean your whole house, when really you just didn't feel inspired to do the dishes, so you didn't. Then again maybe having R.S. re-enforcements come clean my house wouldn't be such a bad thing. Hmmm......, lets ponder this for a moment - Nice...... - VERY NICE.
ANYWAY, moving on, another reason to do your dishes in a timely manner might be the whole health factor. You know not getting food poisoning and all that or bugs in your kitchen - but really I don't get what the hubb-bub is all about I mean Black mold isn't THAT bad and I eat macaroni salad that's been setting out in the heat for a few hours all the time and I only get a little tummy ache, I think it works wonders as a diet agent. (I'm being sarcastic of course.)
Of course those are both really good reasons to do your dishes but let me show you my main reason/inspiration/motivation right now.
-This is what happens when I don't get the table cleared right away after breakfast. She heads straight for the sugar bowl.
-Look at that face! So innocent! It's like she's thinking,
"What? - What? This is good stuff you expect me to leave it alone when it's setting out here unattended? I don't think so!"

Ya! She's cute alright - and SHE KNOWS IT!



If the truth be known - I hope she continues to 'know it'!
And if she embraces and possesses the characteristics of the 3 women she was named for (her grandmas & Cheryn) I will be a happy mother!

2 treasured comments:

jennifer said...

That's so cute. Aubrey was a butter girl. My mom says I was too. You'll know you have a butter girl if you've ever left a cube of butter on the butter dish in the middle of the table and you come back to find holes the size of a little finger stuck all over the butter.
I'm still a butter girl- of course, I don't eat it plain; but, I love warm bread, biscuits, and pancakes with just butter.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Carol. That was really nice. What a wonderful, "Mother"s Day Present". LOVE YOU! I have learned so much from my family. I marvel at all the things that you all do and hope that I did as much. We think (KNOW)we have a wonderful family. Love you all! As far as dishes go, I can't believe I used to say I didn't want to get married cause I wasn't going to do all those dishes! But you know what? I'm sure glad I did and (the electric dishwasher sure has helped!).(smiley face!)