Tuesday, August 24, 2010

5 blue, 2 red, some water, a joey, racing lawn mowers, jumping dogs, lots of grease, an emu, a balloon and a couple of weber state capes

Yep! You guessed it!
I'm talking about the County Fair!!!
We love the fair at our house.
We missed the day to turn in arts and crafts for judging but you better believe we didn't miss the
Horticulture and Floraculture!
What did we enter?
MDH & Sweet Cheeks = Buttercup Squash and Banana Peppers ---- 1 Blue ribbon 1 Red ribbon
Banana = a Marigold and Blue Salvia ----- 1 Blue Ribbon, 1 Red Ribbon
Duder = Jalapeno ---- 1 Blue Ribbon
Doodle = Anaheim Peppers ---- 1 Blue Ribbon
Mr. Man = Pumpkin ----1 Blue Ribbon
There's a story with Mr.Man's pumpkin. He planted a pumpkin seed in a cup at Kindergarten last spring. He brought the seedling home and took fantastic care of it. When the garden was being planted he made sure there was room for his pumpkin to be planted and he helped his Dad plant it in the garden. He even checks on it regularly. He was so excited there was a pumpkin ripe enough to enter in the fair. To get a blue ribbon was just bonus!

Awww! He loves his ribbon!


She was so happy to have a red ribbon because Red starts with R!

I call this photo
Contemplating Chickens!
And why not contemplate chickens when there are so many strange and interesting varieties?!

Right after I took the picture on the left (the weird chicken with the extra long legs) it lifted one leg to scratch its self and lost its balance and fell over.
I was so disappointed I didn't capture that on my camera! It would have been an America's Funniest Home Videos winner for sure!

Free pony rides!!!
Score!

So, if you know my daughter you'll know she has a fear of all animals except horses....go figure.
I was amazed she wanted to go into the petting zoo.
and then she said, "Should I pet the goat?"
I said, "Sure!"
Did I think she'd do it?
No.
But she did!




The boys liked the Emu!

There was an exotic animal show. They had tigers and kangaroos and things. The boys really wanted to go to the show. Sweet Cheeks and Mr.Man really wanted to win a WSU bandanna so I told the older boys they could go to the show and get some seats and I'd meet them there. (MDH and Banana were at the lawn mower races)
When I finally made it to the animal show with two kids clad in WSU bandannas as capes in tow it was pretty crowded. I stood on the edges looking at the crowd trying to spot my boys when Sweet Cheeks shouted, "There's Doodle!" and pointed up to the front.
There he was at the front with the guy doing the show
holding a joey (baby kangaroo)!
It was a dream come true for him.



Of course we had a funnel cake, some slush and some ribbon fries.
Enough grease to last a lifetime, I'm sure.
It made for some interesting dreams.
But most of all we had a great time together.
So much so that Sweet Cheeks didn't want to leave.
We're looking forward to next year.
Watch out Arts and Crafts..........here I come!!!


2 treasured comments:

Sarah B. said...

Looks like a lot of fun! I wish I had a green thumb but I kill EVERYTHING! That Emu is hilarious :). Reminds me of one of my favorite children's books: Edward the Emu :)

gms said...

Looks like and sounds like a lot of fun. Congratulations to you all! That's a lot of hard work and the ribbons are great. What a special day with a lot of good memories. Way to go! I can just imagine how much Doodle enjoyed holding that "Joey". Loved all of the pictures.