This weekend is the weekend of family.
Saturday - W- Family reunion, niece baptized and family dinner
Sunday - another niece blessed (similar to christening) and another family dinner
Monday - Labor Day - Traditional family hike.
Obviously Monday hasn't happened yet so there's nothing to share yet....and I didn't take any pictures today at the family dinner or last night at the family dinner but I do have a few from the family reunion.
So, here you go.
What's not to love about a family reunion?
Really, as far as I'm concerned when it comes to MDH's family there's everything to love.
This particular reunion was for the descendants of his paternal grandparents.......there are over 150....that's a lot of family!
It's held at the main part of the family campground.
There's
Food
magic garden
money dig
trap shooting
golfing
visiting
a candy drop from an airplane
auction
program
more visiting
more food
more family!
I have a confession. Even though I grew up with MDH's family surrounding me and I've known many of his cousins for just as long or longer than I've known MDH sometimes I get their names mixed up. Mostly because there are a lot of them and groups of them look a lot a like.
But the whole, everyone looks a lot alike thing, is one of the things I really enjoy.
It's great to see how much my kids look like some of their distant cousins!
I love it.
This sweet girl was a big help with Sweet Cheeks and another cousin's little ones.
Here the kids are listening to Aunt Kathy tell the story of the magic candy garden. This is a tradition started by MDH's grandma for the little kids.
Miraculously on the day of the reunion candy grows on trees and on the ground in a certain grove.
It's magical.
Another tradition that started a long time ago is the candy drop.
An airplane flies low over the campground and drops candy into a field and the kids get to run out and gather as much as they can.
I think MDH's uncle used to fly the airplane now one of his cousins does it.
This year the candy fell on the edges of the field and in the trees.
I thought this was great because there was enough on the hill and in the field for the little kids and a bunch in the trees to give the older kids a challenge.
Sweet Cheeks enjoyed the money dig.
She was in the first group to go and ended up with $2.70...not bad.
While she was finding the money she said, "I don't like the brown ones. I only like the silver. I'm going to leave the brown."
That's my girl.
Here the older kids are anxiously awaiting their turn.
Mr. Man got tired of waiting in the sun for his turn and decided he didn't need any money.
He did enjoy his candy from the candy drop though.
So did Sweet Cheeks.
In the evening we went to the church to watch our niece C- be baptized.
She is such a cute soul and we are so happy we got to be here for her big day.
Sometimes it still seems unreal that we get to be here to participate in these important days with our extended family.
Today we watched as another niece C- (yes same name different side of the family) received a name and a blessing. Of course I cried a little, but it was a happy cry.
Again,
We feel so blessed.
Tomorrow we hike!


2 treasured comments:
What a fun weekend you have had. The reunion sounds and looks great. Lots of fun thing to do. What a fun family. I love the pictures. We had a special day too, at the blessing of our youngest grand daughter. It was fun to have so many of the family together for such a special event. (The food was good too!)
Sounds like a typical W-family Reunion. LOTS OF FUN! Maybe next year we will be able to go. I do miss my kids being little though. i always enjoyed watching them do all the fun activities.
Post a Comment