Monday, August 1, 2011

Pirates of the Carob Bean, The Fountain of Truth --- Music Camp

Our summer has been more than a little bit busy and fun filled.
And definitely heavy on the taxi service for me.
There was a week at the end of June I was spending approximately 5 hours a day driving 3 kids who needed to be 3 different places in 3 different directions.
CA - RAY - ZEE!
But we survived.
More than survived....thrived.

So the place Banana got to go on a week-daily basis was
Music Camp!
It's a musical theater camp put on by my niece's mother-in-law, Carol Balaich.
I'm not even sure where to begin explaining what it was like.
92 performers ages 8-17
 Writer, director, set designer, costume designer, lyricist all rolled into one person.
5 weeks to practice. 
4 nights of performances.
The show was called Pirates of the Carob Bean.
Think of it as Pirates of the Caribbean mixed with Jack and the Beanstalk mixed with Peter Pan with a little Princess Bride and Napoleon Dynamite thrown in for good measure.
Add a few songs like "I Feel Like a Pirate" (Man, I feel like a Woman),
"Black Diamond" (Greased Lightning)
"Magic"
"Davy" (My Guy)
"Captain Jack" (Captain Hooks Waltz)
"You Will Survive" (I will survive)
"Crazy Little Bean" (Crazy little thing called love)
The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything

And you've got yourself a fun show and one fun music camp.
Because there were so many performers the show was double cast. Banana was Tia a member of the "Fountain of Truth" who is cast out from the fountain and has to find her way back two of the nights. The other two nights she was a Young Lady who becomes a Pirette. 

Banana and Cousin K-
I think one of the best parts of Music Camp was that Banana got to be with her cousin daily.
Aren't they cute!

The Fountain of Truth
Banana's on top.


Banana as Madame Tia Dalma


Prim and proper young lady Banana

In the middle pirate Napoleon, on the right the Dread Pirate Roberts, top right Jack Starling

More young ladies.

far right front in purple Barbra Osa aka. Captain Barbie Osa.

Smee captured this young lady.

Luckily she could hold her own especially as a Pir-ette.

I was lucky enough to get to help sew some of the costumes. I made the above pictured Pir-ette costume. The girls were so cute and fun to sew for.

This was such a great experience for Banana and she's hoping she can participate again next year.


0 treasured comments: