It turns out it's been a long time since I've blogged regularly.
So long I almost forgot how.....almost.
My family has been patient with my lack of blogging, mostly, but occasionally they mention that they miss it.
I guess they like my blogging habit and like reading what I have to say.
Kind of makes me feel like they like me.
And that feels good.
So,
this is me jumping back into it. Or at least I started last week and I'm still continuing it this week.
Great Basin National Park
I know, you just thought, "Hmm, where's that?"
That's what everyone said when we told them we were going camping there.
Except for one, my brother, who said, "Hmmm, is that new?"
My answer, "Yes! It was made a National park in 1986." Really that's not too long ago.
And the answer to the other question (where's that?) is; Just west of Delta, UT. over the boarder about 5 miles into Nevada.
Of course I'd heard of it before. I did take Geology of National Parks back in my college days after all. However, I didn't have any desire to visit. Who wants to visit the desert? and camp?
But it turns out there are some pretty majestic and grand mountains there complete with lakes, forests, streams, wild flowers, interesting caves, spectacular star viewing and wild life.
So last
It's fun to have lots of photographers in the family and putting this together months later it makes me even more grateful to have lots of pictures to go with the memories.
The next few pictures were taken by Josh.
Just finishing up braiding my hair.
He was so happy to be out of the car and at our camping spot.
We ate really well on our trip. What is it about camping that makes the food taste so good?
Is it the fresh air? the exercise? the dirt?
Probably all of the above.
Isn't she cute?
Just beautiful.
The group gathering area where the rangers would but on nightly fireside programs.
The stream that ran by our camping spot.
The glacier we hiked to.
Another shot of the stream.
These bristlecone pines were amazing! They're the oldest known non-clonal organisms.
On one of the trails there were these stumps that had been cut to make a chair.
They would have been perfect for our weary hiker's feet if we hadn't just started our hike.
Beautiful girl!
Neat scenic view area. We were checking out where we'd been.
Taking pictures of flowers. It's what she does. :)
We were able to go in to and take a tour of Lehman Cave.
"The finest workers in stone are not copper or steel tools, but the gentle touches of air and water working at their leisure with a liberal allowance of time."
-Henry David Thoreau
Lehman Caves is a beautiful marble cave ornately decorated with stalactites, stalagmites, helictites, flowstone, popcorn, and over 300 rare shield formations. (http://www.nps.gov/grba/planyourvisit/lehman-caves-tours.htm)
I have to say that the ranger who took us on our tour was FANTASTIC!!!
He took our youngest guy under his wing and made him his junior ranger. Of course Mr.Man loved that! The ranger was so patient and made it lots of fun for the kids. I am so grateful for people who take the time to make things memorable for children.
Okay! So that's a lot of pictures! If you're still reading, congratulations!
I still have more but that will have to be another day.







2 treasured comments:
I had to google bristlecone pines after reading this. Now I want to find Methusaleh in California, the oldest of the bristlecone pines.
Anyway, it looks like fun. My family could use a few more photographers, I think.
If you do go find Methusaleh take me with you! They are their own kind of beautiful! This may sound weird but when you're near them, they feel old.
I agree you could use a few more photographers. They're fun!
Post a Comment