Saturday, October 27, 2007

Friendship, Sportsmanship and the Big Game

The Fans
S- and his good friend (J-'s best friend's sister), these guys are two peas in a pod.
Today was the big game...the championship. It came down to the Golden Dragons (J's team) vs. the King Cobras (J's best friend's team). I don't think I have ever gotten more into a game, it was so exciting. Watching your child play brings out all kinds of emotions and stress, especially when you know the game means so much to them.
The Dragons had lost to this team twice before. Once a real game and the other a scrimmage, the Cobras hadn't lost any games before today. Both teams played their hardest and it really was a close game. We scored three points early in the game then they held us scoring two of their own. The final quarter was just back and forth from one team's goal to the other but neither team scoring. When the final whistle blew it was such a relief for the game to be over. I know I got a few gray hairs from the stress.
The final score was 3 - 2 for the Golden Dragons.

It may be hard to see but there are three boys there playing catch with a soccer ball, two golden dragons (one of them J.) and one cobra(J's best friend). This is what they were doing during the final quarter of the big game, just being friends. I don't think I've ever seen a better example of friendship and sportsmanship. The rest of us were stressed out beyond belief watching the game and these three were just happy to be there. ("They're just jazzed to be on the show.")
Luckily we had a good ref. and great parents from both teams, everyone had a good time.
What a great ending to the season. The boys were so happy! I'm glad J- had a chance to play soccer this year and finish out the season with his team. This has been a great experience for him, he has endured and improved a lot.
This is my favorite picture of the day. It was taken right after the game. The boys are such good friends I'm glad they both survived the soccer season.
Here's the team with their trophies. I think right now each boy's trophy is his most prized possession. I know J-'s coaches will never see this blog but I want everyone to know that he had some of the most patient coaches I have ever seen. They encouraged the boys and taught them both how to play the game as well as get along and work as a team. It was touching to see how emotional the head coach was over the boys winning. He was so proud of them. Usually he is very reserved but he was giving everyone hugs (all the parents). Thanks coaches.

2 treasured comments:

FNB said...

What an exciting day. I'm so glad he had such a fun season. J looks like such a soccer professional!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Golden Dragon J.Congratulations,
On The Championship. That's a neat trophy. We're happy you had such a good soccer year. Thats a cute picture of S and friend.