Sunday, July 18, 2010

Happy Independance Day (2 weeks ago)

Our celebrating started Friday night July 2nd.
We spent the night in the tree house at the family campgrounds. As far as I'm concerned that's the only way to go camping. We slept in a bed, had flushing toilets, a nice grill to cook on, privacy and a beautiful starry night. It was simply perfect.
Even my experimental pizza on the grill turned out good.
Saturday the kids played at the creek, waded in the pond, played golf with their dad, went for a walk, played games, played with cousins, visited with cousins and grandma and grandpa all before noon.
Then it was pack-up, head home, un-pack, clean-up and head off to a cook-out with the S- family.
Usually our 4th cook-out is at my parents but my sis volunteered to host this year.
There was lots of good food and fun conversations.
And plenty of kids running around having fun.
My parents kind of have had two sets of grand kids.
The older set is now getting married and having children of their own and the younger set is
just that younger and growing every day.
Because I'm the youngest in our family I thought for sure my kids wouldn't have cousins to hang out with unless they were on their father's side.
Luckily I was wrong and they have lots of cousins on both sides close enough in age that they have a good time together.

Grandma bought them all patriotic T-shirts and they looks so cute together.
After the cook-out we headed down the street to go ice-blocking.
I love this tradition.
MDH's brother Doug and family were able to join us and we were so happy they did.
There was lots more visiting, a lot of sliding, a lot of racing and a lot of fun.
After ice-blocking we came back to our house and watched the fireworks.
The view for the fireworks is actually a little better from our neighbor's front yard and they were kind enough to let us slide our chairs on over and watch with them.
Thanks so much Aubri and Derek! You're the best!

Sunday July 4th we just took it easy. We went to church and enjoyed some quiet time at home.

Poor little Sweet Cheeks got a fever while we were at the cook-out on Saturday and she ended up sleeping through pretty much all of it. I felt so bad for her but she was a trooper.
She fevered for about 24 hours and then she was fine. No other symptoms, nothing. It was so strange but I was glad it was short and then over with.

Over all I'd say our celebrating lasted all weekend and was a huge success!
I love that we were able to spend time with both sides of the family and include some friends in there too.

2 treasured comments:

Erin said...

Sounds like a great way to spend the 4th weekend! Thanks for entertaining Sierra last week. She had a blast w/everyone and was trying to find a way to stay. I love the made up song........what a creative daughter you have!

mjs said...

What a cute picture of the kids on the stairs w/their 4th of July shirts. Enjoyed the pictures of the Ice-Blocking. That was lots of fun to watch. It was a fun day!