Friday, April 22, 2011

A Poem by Banana, Untitled (for now)

Written for a school assignment, inspired by a film they watched in class.
by Banana

A little boy with gleaming eyes
Looked at the toy with great surprise.
A little bear with fur so soft
His chubby hands held up aloft

And with his voice all loud and clear
Said to the bear, “Oh, teddy dear,
I will not ever leave you, oh,
I’ll take you wherever I go.”

Well, days went past, and years flew by.
The little bear stayed at his side.
To school, to church, to park, to pond
To deep blue sea, and space beyond

But boys grow up, as well as dreams.
 The little bear was left it seems.
 Little mother found it there
And picked it up with gentle care

And with her voice so soft, but clear
Said to the bear, “Oh, teddy dear,
You will not ever leave me, oh
You’ll stay with me where’er I go

Then came the war, oh glorious sight
Where dreams of honor could take flight.
So, who signed up, but bear’s old friend
A war to fight, a world to mend.

And then came time for him to leave
His mother crying on his sleeve
And suddenly he saw his bear
Where it had fallen from a chair.

He took the bear, with tears in eyes
Said to the bear, “Oh dear, oh my
 You’ll stay with me, dear teddy-o
You’ll come with me, to war you’ll go.



The boy and bear went off to fight
 They stayed together day and night
Through rain, through wind, through freezing snow
Through German shots, and fires glow

And then the war was over, done
But of the two came back just one
The bear, now old and worn
Come back to find a fam’ly torn.

The mother held it in embrace
While tears fell down her weary face
And thought of all the mem’ries past
Making ev’ry memory last

And with tears rolling down her cheek
Said to the bear, her voice sad, weak
“My son’s with you, I know it’s so
You’ll stay with me where’er I go.

4 treasured comments:

Piper Girl said...

Teddy Bears are very important! When I was sick I had two bears that I always snuggled on, their names are Morie Phiney and Lori Tabby. Pretty crazy names for sure. But I still love them.

Kristin said...

That is a fantastic poem!! She is a super talented girl!!

Doug and Michele said...

She has always been very talented, but that was amazing! Thanks for sharing with us banana - you are one of a kind!

Marshall said...

I'm speecheless. That was beyong amazing and so touching. She has a real gift!