So I still haven't sat down and added memory space to this blog so I can't add any pictures but I wanted to write down a few happenings from the past week or so. Mostly so I don't forget.
A few weeks ago Hannah tried out for a community theatre production of The Music Man.
She was cast as a towns person. She's just glad she gets to be a part of the production. There were a lot who tried out and didn't get any parts.
Josh started doing track and taking tennis lessons. He's doing great at both and we're really proud of him.
Yesterday he had his first track meet. He ran the 1600 m and 800 m. He beat his personal best by well over 1 minute on the 1600 and we're not sure on the 800 because he'd never been timed on that before but he did really well. He sprained his leg earlier in the week playing football in PE and so it was a little harder than it should have been but he pushed through.
He's been growing an inch a month for the past few months and has most earnestly, sincerely and without a doubt passed me up by far. I think my pleasure at this has only been surpassed by his.
Last week was his birthday. He got to celebrate with a couple of friends and he chose pecan pie instead of cake....oh man, it was so good...if I do say so myself...
Spencer got to go to the Natural History museum with a good friend last week. Those boys are two peas in a pod, it's good to have friends who like the same things as you. It's just hard to find people with the same interests as you when you're 11 and well versed in history, geology, theology, chemistry, biology, oceanology, oceanography and engineering.....to name a few...but luckily he has.
I had to chuckle last night because of him. We went to a couple's house here in town who served with MDH on his mission. His mission president's wife was in town and they held kind of an impromptu get-together with the old missionaries who live in N.Utah now. When we got there Spencer walked up to two boys who seemed to be about his age, stuck his hand out to shake and said, "Hi, I'm Spencer. It's nice to meet you." They introduced themselves and shook his hand. Then Spencer said, "I hear there are some video games down stairs. Do you want to go check them out?" And off they went. Instant friends.
Got to love that kid......and you've got to wonder how old he is exactly because most of the time he acts so much older.
Soccer has started back up for Sam. Practices and games every week, and we've discovered our boy has goalie skills, he seems to be enjoying it. However, when I asked him if he wanted me to sign him up for soccer for next year he said, "Nah, I think I want to try football." Seriously? The kid whose pain tolerance is -5 wants to try football? Needless to say, I think I convinced him to stick with soccer for one more year.
Speaking of pain tolerance, at the mission get together I mentioned earlier, Sam came to me crying and out of breath. I asked him what had happened and he said that a kid had just walked up to him and punched him in the stomach and it had hurt really bad and knocked the wind out of him. I asked who it was and he said he didn't know the name but it was a boy with glasses. The other adults in the room heard and a couple said, "oh that's ours." and went to get the boy to find out what was going on.
When they returned with their son he was maybe 3 years old and half the size of Sam.....he apologized though and then they were both off to play again. Ah, good times.
Spring has brought some beautiful and fragrant flowers to our yard but the most beautiful by far is our little Rose who is not so little any more. She's keeping right up with her brother Josh's growth spurt by also growing about an inch a month but it's just not as noticeable when you're still the shortest in the family. She still loves her dance class and is looking forward to getting her costume in May. I hear about it at least twice a day, "My costume comes in May! When is May?"
Her highlight of each day is playing with a friend and if the weather is good they play outside for hours. I love it. They've built a fort behind the bushes in the backyard by the fence. The fort consists of sticks that have blown into the yard and a lot of imagination.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with myself when she goes to school in the fall....she's been a great companion.
The kids keep asking me what I'm going to do when she goes to school and I always answer, "I'm taking a nap....then I'm going to work on the laundry."
MDH is as busy as ever with work and school and he took out the remaining hedge along the back fence. I think we'll replace it with lilacs and forsythia, yum!
As you can imagine my time is consumed with driving, cheering, teaching, encouraging, cooking and laundry.
And that's our life the past couple of weeks in a nutshell.
0 treasured comments:
Post a Comment