Friday, April 24, 2009

attack of the killer.......Ferret?

Last night, around 9 o'clock, after family prayer, after the boys were in bed and I was tucking Sweet Cheeks in bed, MDH was out back planting some hollyhocks in the corner of our yard by the fence. I heard this banging sound repeated really fast and hard so I decided to go investigate. I thought maybe MDH was trying to get my attention because he needed my help. I stuck my head out the door and asked him if he was okay and he said there was an animal out there that was running at him and he had been trying to hit it with his shovel. He said he thought it was under the wheel-barrow. Sure enough there was a weaselly, minky, ferret thing under there that slunk away back to the corner of the yard and under the fence.

Turns out that while MDH was digging in the corner by the fence he heard some rustling on the other side and thought it was the neighbor's dogs. But, he thought it was odd they weren't barking (they're chihuahuas). The next thing he knew this stinky animal popped up next to him from under the fence and started running at him.

Of course I jumped on the Internet and started searching to try and figure out what exactly we had seen. (Because I can do that now!!! I don't know if you're aware of this but I now have the Internet AT MY HOUSE! AMAZING)

It was a blood-thirsty ferret. Don't be deceived by the seemingly innocent, strangely cuddly looking ferret in the above picture.

It pretty much looked like the one in this photo but a little fatter. We just didn't know if it was rabid or what. Maybe it was fat because it eats everything in its path including innocent women and children.

Later that evening I was in the living room and MDH was in the family room and we heard a really loud scratching sound in the laundry room. I thought it was MdH and he thought it was me. After we figured out it wasn't each other we decided the ferret was trying to get in the house. I ran for my shoes (because my feet were bare - I didn't want a rabid ferret attacking my sweet toes). Then MDH and I grabbed something to defend ourselves, just in case the ferret actually had gotten into the house.

MDH grabbed a broom and I grabbed a mop.

Apparently we were going to clean it to death if it attacked.

Luckily, it wasn't in the house just in the garage ----- and it really stunk!! MDH was very brave and vanquished it from the garage wielding his trusty broom.

Now, we're wondering if the former owners of our house had a ferret they set free because this thing didn't act like it was sick or like it wanted to eat my toes but like it really wanted some attention and it really wanted in our house.

So if you're looking for a pet ferret to come stink up your house I bet you could come catch this one fairly easily.

By the way - my boys want to keep it - But, there is no way that will EVER - EVER HAPPEN!

Later that evening MDH share some of his thoughts about the animal with me. They were just too good not to share.

MDH: I figured out what was really bothering me about that ferret. When I was younger and I'd go out to feed my chickens in the morning if there was a mink in the coop I'd get my gun and take care of it. When I saw the ferret my first thought was I need to get my gun. Then I realized I can't shoot a rifle in the city and when it was trying to get in the house I thought I can't shoot a rifle in my house. So, that's it, we're going to have to move to the country because I can't handle all of the wild ferrets in the city.

3 treasured comments:

Andrea said...

The W- home is never short of excitement! You guys are too funny! I hope that there won't be any nightmares or back flashes from this traumatic experience. Be careful out there in the big city you never know what is lurking in the corners.

on a side note: I just told Rod the other night that I wanted him to plant hollyhocks on the fence posts in the back yard. Then last night we were talking about the garden and I said, I bet Ch- is having a great time getting his yard going! Too funny!

McCombs Family said...

F U N N Y! The whole family got a laugh as I read it aloud during breakfast. Maybe that thing lived in your pipes.

Lauren said...

OMG!! I'm laughing out load right now!! That is so funny. Attack it with a mop.. killer ferrets in the city. Oh too, too great.
I've missed your funny family and your blog!!