Thursday, March 25, 2010

Hair Stylist Student, Haircut

A couple of blocks from our Elementary school there is an Applied Technology College. A few times a year they come to the Elem. School and give free haircuts to any of the students who would like them. The parents have to sign a release but it's free.

There's a thing on the paper saying if the child wants more than 3 inches cut the parent has to be there or give special permission (something like that) and you can also choose what style of haircut your child will be given.

Mr.Man decided he needed a haircut (I usually do the honors) and he really wanted it done with his friends at school. I said okay, hey, it's free!

On his permission slip I chose STANDARD (tapered in back and on the sides, 1/4 - 1/2 inch off the top).

Here's the before picture (taken on Monday at the zoo).

Here's the after.

To say I was shocked when he walked in the door after school yesterday is putting it mildly.

I was shocked for two reasons;

  1. I forgot he was getting his hair cut that day,
  2. It's just so short!!! That's more than 1/4 - 1/2 inch off the top.

His hair was getting pretty long so they took more than 3 inches off the top, I knew they'd have to, to blend it, but it's about 1/2 long or less in spots. The poor kid's hair doesn't lay down for anything and he has two cowlicks in the back and where they come together it makes a nice little ridge.

It hasn't been this short since he was a baby!

So, I was examining his hair and then it hit me. This kid is like a puppy, he doesn't hold still for more than 3 seconds at a time. It has taken me a lot of practice to be able to cut his hair quickly and in between bounces, head jerks, etc. I bet he moved too much for whoever was cutting his hair and it just kept getting shorter and shorter as they tried to make it even.

So I said, "Did you hold really still while they cut your hair?"

He said, "No! That's no fun."

I said, "Did you at least try to?"

He said, "No. Why?"

I said, "Did she tell you to hold still?"

He said, "Yes, at first she asked me to please hold still, then she told me to stop moving and then she told me to quit it."

I'm guessing the student stylist is not to blame entirely for this haircut.

He likes it though and that's really all that matters. He was worried that he'd wake up in the morning and his hair would be all grown back.

Today we're going to put gel in it and make it look like it's supposed to be spiked. But, she left the very front long, what's up with that? Maybe I can work some magic with the gel.




3 treasured comments:

Doug and Michele said...

OK, I gasped out loud when I saw the second picture! I can't believe they cut it that short!!! I think the spike will look adorable, but I know it will take some getting used to. We used "Got2b Glued" and it works great. Good luck :) He will look cute no matter what!

Marshall said...

Bahahahaha! You had Jeff and I laughing so hard! What a cutie patootie :).

McCombs Family said...

I completely agree with the first comment...I too gasped out loud. He fits the crazy cut in the pictures (and probably on most days). Soooo Funny!