A couple of weeks ago, the day before Mother's day to be exact, MDH said he wanted to take me shopping for a new dress.
I resisted.
I didn't need a new dress. I didn't know what I wanted. I don't like to try on clothes at the store. Etc.
Finally I relented but stated I really needed a new bra more than I needed a dress.
So, MDH said, "Lets go get you a new bra and a new dress."
Now keep in mind I am fully aware how embarrassing it is to walk by, through or anywhere in the near vicinity of the women's undergarment department let alone go in the department and wait while your mother or spouse browses, chooses and tries on unmentionables. So I usually stay clear of that area of the store lest my teens, pre-teens and husband die of embarrassment. (Although I don't really need to worry about MDH because my husband handles shopping and the women's department with class every time.)
We made it to the store and I picked out a couple of dresses to try on. Then we wandered on over to the underwear department.
As I took my first couple of steps into the racks of underthings I came face to face with a man and his wife from our home town (the parents of a high school friend of ours, someone MDH used to know quite well.)
And for a second I panicked;
Do I say Hi?
What will they think, we're in the underwear department?
Is MDH embarrassed?
Maybe they won't recognize us and we won't have to say anything.
I can see it in his face, he recognizes us, we better say something.
Then I recognized the look in his eye and I knew he was having the same internal conversation.
So I said, "HI! How are you?" almost precisely the same time MDH said, "Hello."
Acquaintance, "Oh?! Hello. Good. How are you? It's been a long time."
Long awkward pause......
There was a very big elephant in the room that needed to be addressed so I said, "This is a funny place to run into someone you haven't seen in so long."
Thankfully,
everyone laughed and we were able to move on with catching up and MDH had someone to talk to while I went about my business.
At one point I even heard them laughing about a man bra being called a bro.
So, this embarrassing moment turned out to be quite a good thing. Aren't elephants fun?!
And
FYI I ended up getting a dress but no new undergarments. I'm a little picky......
Halloween 2014
-
Halloween snuck up on me again.
Right in the middle of everything it snuck up on me!
I've been helping with costumes for our High School musical production ...
11 years ago


0 treasured comments:
Post a Comment